Richard De La Rue has been an integral part of music here in Guernsey for many years and much of what I go to see is from his e-mail Bulletin, "BarLines." His ensemble Baroque Band is a real favourite, with monthly gigs in one of my local pubs of choice.
- The Baroque Band has been given the night off on Monday 18 June at the C & Bull at 8.00pm but Niall McCathie and Marilyn Pugh have graciously stepped into the breach with an invitation to all voices to join in Jubilee Sings in celebration of a certain event that may have caught your attention last week. The programme will include pieces taken from ‘Guernsey Sings’ from Liberation Day 2010 (bring your copy and join in) and will also feature the first performance in Guernsey (we think) of ’SING’ written by Andrew Lloyd-Webber and Gary Barlow for the gig at Buck House. Download from: http://www.stageamusical.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Sing1.pdf
- Take a look at the new VH Festival website at www.vhfestival.com Tickets are now on sale at www.guernseytickets.gg A separate BarLines will appear on 2 July with full details. Follow on twitter at @VHFestival and Victor Hugo International Music Festival 16-21July on facebook.
- Calling all music teachers: Details of a new competition for young string composers aged 12 to 19 devised by ESTA and Purcell School are available at http://www.estastrings.org.uk/news-events/newsitem.php?id=00000251 Closing date: 31 August.
- STOP PRESS: Congratulations to Tom Hicks, the young Guernsey pianist, for getting through the audition and selection process of the Gina Bachauer international piano competition held in Venice. Tom is now to take part in the final rounds in Salt Lake City at the end of June. He is the only British pianist in the final round which has over 30 young pianists from all over the world. Good Luck Tom!
- We are grateful to the Dean and churchwardens for rehearsal facilities at Town Church.
Look out for:
- NOW until 22 June: Guernsey Photography Festival. Full details at www.guernseyphotographyfestival.com
- TONIGHT 12 June: Orsino Piano Trio Haydn in Eb min Hob XV31, Shostakovich no 2 Op 67, Schumann in d min Op 63. £13 conc. Spon GAC. St James, 8.00pm
- 16 June: Picnic Concert Old Time Music Hall. £6 conc. bring your own picnic. St Peter’s Rectory Garden (church if wet), 6.30pm
- 17 June: Arts Sunday full details from www.arts.gg Seafront, 10.00am to 4.00pm.
- 18 June: Jubilee Sings in aid of the Friends of the Guernsey Music Centre at C & Bull, 8.00pm
- 19 June: Guys and Dolls BTEC Student’s annual musical. £6 conc. PRCPA, 7.30pm
- 19 June: Diva Opera Puccini’s Tosca, and
- 20 June: Diva Opera Mozart’s Magic Flute in aid of charity. Spon HSBC Pte Bk. £55 incl champ & canapés from Mrs Hodgetts La Collette, Les Croutes, St PP. GY1 1QH St James, 7.30pm both nights.
- 22 June: Guernsey Music Centre Summer Concert Youth Wind Band, Youth Training Orchestra, Intermediate Choir. Spon Bank Julius Baer. £8 conc. St James, 7.30pm
- 23 June: Picnic Concert Midsummer Jazz. Alison Castle. £6 conc. bring your own picnic. St Peter’s Rectory Garden (church if wet), 6.30pm
- 23 June: Guernsey Music Centre Leavers Concert. Guernsey Youth Orchestra, Concert Wind Band, Youth Choir, Philippa Cordall hn, Martha Male cl, James Keirle tu. Spon BWCI. £8 conc. St James, 7.30pm.
- 25 June: Liz Courtney ob, James Hatton trpt with Dan Madden pno. Poulenc, Saint-Saens, Boni, Reade + Summer Music. Admission free, retiring coll. Town Church, 8.00pm.
- 5 July: Llyr Williams pno Beethoven son op 110 in Ab no 31, Mendelssohn songs without words, Schubert 3 Impromptus D946, Liszt 2 transcriptions Liebestod. £13 conc St James, 8.00pm.
- 7 July: Guernsey Symphonic Winds, Guernsey Bach Choir Philip Sparke, Malcolm Arnold, Von Suppe, Vivian Dunn. £10 conc. Spon Sarnia Hotels. St James, 8.00pm.
- 9 July: Baroque Band in aid of the Friends of the Guernsey Music Centre at C & Bull, 8.00pm
- 14 July: Guernsey Concert Brass & Bourne Concert Band. £10 conc. St James, 8.00pm.
- 16-21 July: 6th VH Festival
- 16 July: Northern Trust Benjamin Grosvenor Piano Recital Bach Partita no 4 in D, Chopin son no 3 in b op 58, Scriabin son no 2 in G#, Rachmaninov Etudes-Tableaux op 39, no5, Lilacs, Polka de WR, Ravel Gaspard de la Nuit. £15 conc Spon Northern Trust. St James, 8.00pm
- 17 July: Glennie Unplugged JKT meets Evelyn Glennie. Exploration of how someone can overcome being profoundly deaf to become a world renowned percussionist. £18 conc. Spon Fractional Ownership Consultancy. St James, 8.00pm.
- 19 July: Ommm One of Europe’s hottest vocal groups! £15 conc. PRCPA, 8.00pm
- 21 July: The Burning Bush Songs from the Soul – A Night of Jewish Music and Dance with the BBC’s Lucie Skeaping vocals, Ben Harlan cl. Dance to leader Guy Shalom in 2nd half. Spon Mourant Ozannes. £18 unreserved. St James, 8.00pm
- Buy tickets online at www.guernseytickets.gg